Education in Germany


Deutsches Bildungsystem (Quelle:


Vocational training in composite materials starts in upper secondary (Sekundarstufe II).

Summary of Qualifications

Depending on the level of training four major groups are distinguished:

  1.     Activities without a vocational qualification (helper)
  2.     Skilled workers / Professionals
  3.     Technical college occupations / professions training
  4.     High school occupations / professions study


Assistants (DE: Helfer, FR: aide) perform activities for which no vocational training is necessary.

  • Helfer/in - Kunststoff, Kautschuk

Skilled Worker

Skilled workers or craftsmen (DE: Facharbeiter, FR: ouvrier qualifié, travailleur spécialisé) are professionals who are trained dual (school and work). 2-3 years successful training and a certificate is required in order to become a skilled worker.

  • Verfahrensmechaniker/in - Kunststoff- und Kautschuktechnik
  • Verfahrensmechaniker/in - Faserverbundtechnologie
  • Verfahrensmechaniker/in - Beschichtungstechnik

Professionals (DE: Fachkräfte, FR: personnel qualifié) are persons with a successfully completed vocational training. The term professionals is in Germany not generally used for persons who have completed tertiary education.

  • Bootsbauer/in
  • Böttcher/in
  • Spielzeughersteller/in
  • Technische/r Konfektionär/in

Professionals can continue their education for specialization / function in seminars and certificate programs.

  • Laminierer/in (Kunststoffverarbeitung)
  • Extruderführer/in     
  • Kunststoffpresser/in
  • Kunststoffschweißer/in
  • Kunststoffspritzer/in
  • Kunststofftiefzieher/in
  • Fachberater/in - Farben, Lacke und Kunststoffe
  • Kunststoffbootsbauer/in
  • Sportgerätebauer/in
  • Klebefachkraft
  • Fachkraft Faserverbund (IHK Abschluss-Prüfung)

Technical college

A master craftsman (DE: Meister, FR: agent de maîtrise) in the sense of craft regulations has demonstrated business knowledge and instructor skills and holds a master's certificate.       
The foreman (DE: Industriemeister, FR: agent de maîtrise) has also a special qualification certificate and is a qualified technical manager in an industrial company.

  • Industriemeister/in - Kunststoff und Kautschuk     
  • Industriemeister/in – Fahrzeuginnenausstattung
  • Industriemeister/in - Papier- und Kunststoffverarbeitung
  • Industriemeister/in - Polsterei/Polstermöbel
  • Böttchermeister/in
  • Segelmachermeister/in
  • Konstrukteur/in   

Der Techniker (EN: technician (engineer), FR: technicien) hat erfolgreich eine zwei- oder vierjährige Ausbildung an einer Fachschule absolviert und ist entweder staatlich geprüft oder staatlich anerkannt.

The technician/(engineer (DE: Techniker, FR: technicien) has completed successfully a two-or four-year course at a technical school and is either state certified or recognized by the state.

  • Techniker/in - Kunststoff- und Kautschuktechnik     
  • Faserverbund an der Fritz-Hopf Technikerschule
  • Techniker/in - Maschinentechnik (Kunststoff-/Kautschuktech.)
  • Klebetechniker/in

High school occupations / professions study

The Bachelor is the first academic degree at an university. The course is aimed at 3-4 years now and there are at least 180 ECTS points required.

  • Bachelor-Studiengang Maschinenbau Vertiefung Faserverbundtechnologie
  • Berufsbegleitender Bachelor-Studiengang Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen mit Vertiefungsrichtung Leichtbau & Faserverbundtechnologie

The master's degree is the second academic degree following the bachelor's. The master's study program is usually 1-2 years and there are at least 300 ECTS points required.

  • Masterstudiengang Leichtbau- und Faserverbundtechnologie
  • Berufsbegleitenden Master Technologie Management mit Schwerpunkt Faserverbundtechnologie

The doctoral degree is the third academic degree in Germany. In Germany, the degrees od bachelor, master, foreman and technicians are equivalent.

The courses in which composite materials are important can be further divided into priorities / fields of study. There is the dual degree programs with a professional activity as an integral component of study and undergraduate courses such as

  • Baustoffingenieurwissenschaft
  • Dentaltechnologie und Metallurgie
  • Kunststoff- und Werkstofftechnik
  • Materialwissenschaft und Werkstofftechnik
  • Oberflächen- und Werkstofftechnik
  • Systemwerkstoffe
  • Technologie der Funktionswerkstoffe
  • Werkstoffingenieurwesen
  • Werkstofftechnik
  • Werkstoffwissenschaft
  • Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen (Werkstoff- und Prozesstechnik)

Engineering curricula, with particular reference to composite materials are

  • Ingenieur/in – Kunststofftechnik
  • Ingenieur/in – Werkstofftechnik
  • Ingenieur/in – Verpackungstechnik
  • Ingenieur/in – Sport
  • Klebfachingenieur/in

For more information

For detailed information on individual occupations please visit the German Labour Agency (Berufenet der Deutschen Arbeitsagentur).

An Interreg IVB project